Malfatti with Tomato and Nettle.
2 Cups Ricotta Cheese
1 Cup Grated Parmesan cheese (plus a little more for the platter)
1 Cup AP flour (plus more for rolling the pasta)
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Jar Whole Peeled Tomatoes
1/2 Pound Nettles
Pick the Nettles off the stems and wash them. make sure you wear gloves.
Bring a QT of salted water to a boil and add the nettles and cook for three minutes.
Strain the nettles and lay flat on a tray to cool.
Once cool, squeeze out the water and chop the nettles.
Mix the Ricotta cheese, Parmesan and egg in a bowl and mix until it all incorporated.
Add the Flour, salt and few crack of black pepper and mix just until combined. Don’t over mix.
Turn the dough onto a floured surface and divide into four equal pieces.
Dust them with more flour and roll into dime sized rope//log things.
Using a dough scraper cut into bite size pieces. Toss them with flour and put them on a floured tray and put in the fridge. (If you make a lot you can freeze in one layer on the tray. Once they are frozen you can take them off the tray and put into bags or containers and store in the freezer.)
Put the Tomatoes in a pan and crush them with your hands.
Add the Nettles, salt and pepper, and a few good glugs of olive oil and bring to a simmer for a 3-5 minutes.
Cook the malfatti in salted Boiling water until they float.
Drain them out of the cooking water, but save a little bit to add to the sauce.
Add the sauce to the malfatti with a little bit of the cooking liquid and simmer for a minute or two.
Scoop out onto platter//bowl//plate//serving vessel.
Finish with olive oil, and grated Parmesan cheese.
listen to Cooking Up A Podcast::
this recipe is inspired by a segment on the podcast called "What's In The Woods" with Tyler Akabane:: talking about wild foods growing in the Northeast...AND stinging nettles are one of the foods up and out in early spring. it's at the beginning of EP//007.
it's available pretty much everywhere you get podcasts:: iTunes, Stitcher, Anchor, Google Play, Podbean
- Aug 22, 2018 EP///0014: The Creative Kitchen of Blanch and Shock in London Aug 22, 2018
- Jun 20, 2018 EP///013 Sugar Maples and Beekeeping with Ethan West from The Republic Of Vermont Jun 20, 2018
- Jun 10, 2018 EP///012: Food and Adventure Author: Rowan Jacobsen Jun 10, 2018
- May 24, 2018 EP///011: A Cook's Cook:::::Jamie Bissonnette May 24, 2018
- May 17, 2018 EP///010 Real and NATURAL WINE with David Mitchell May 17, 2018
- May 3, 2018 EP///009 JOHN WANG from the Food Project May 3, 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 EP///008 Spearfishing and free diving:::ANNE DOHERTY Apr 24, 2018
- Apr 11, 2018 EP///007: Coffee, Chocolate and PERU with Mateo Campesino Apr 11, 2018
- Mar 28, 2018 EP:006: Organic greens, herbs, and life : EVA SOMMARIPA Mar 28, 2018
- Mar 21, 2018 EP///005: Potatoes with Matt Linehan from Sparrow Arc Farm Mar 21, 2018
- Mar 7, 2018 EP///004: A Venetian Restaurant: SRV. with Chefs Kevin O'Donnell and Michael Lombardi JR Mar 7, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 EP//003 BEEKEEPING, URBAN AGRICULTURE WITH BILL PERKINS Mar 5, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 EP//001: The Mushroom Kingdom with TYLER AKABANE Mar 5, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 EP//002: The New England Chef: JEREMY SEWALL Mar 5, 2018