David Dolginow is the co founder/ owner if Shacksbury Cider based in VERGENNES, Vermont.
He has help build Shacksbury with his co founder Colin Davis to be a forward thinking modern company with a stone ethos of collaboration partnering with all sorts of other producers, artists and farmers…and they have forged a new partnership with Krista Scruggs ZAFA wines opening Co Cellars in Burlington,
Past and current collaborations include::::
Vermont natural wine maker, author and Diedre Heekin from La Garagista: https://www.lagaragista.com
Other Cider producers: Petritegi Sagardoa in the Basque country Spain and Dragon Orchards in Herefordshire, England
Vermont farmers: yoder farm, and Michael lee from Twig farm: https://twigfarm.com
Beer brewers like modern times brewing: http://www.moderntimesbeer.com
and artists like will Bryant: http://www.willbryant.com
They forage for apples and have propagated some of these lost varieties at Sunrise Orchards: https://www.sunriseapples.com
They create unique ciders with character and voice.
David is from Kansas City and he has something to tell New Englanders about Barbecue but you have to listen until the end.
From Shaksbury’s Website::
“The apples of America's early cider tradition, lost for a variety of reasons, are not hard to find in Vermont - once you know what you're looking for. Though far less numerous than they once were, the trees materialize around every bend, and over every hill, hiding in plain sight. To us, these trees represent a door to another time, and the basis for superior cider.
In the fall of 2013, and each subsequent harvest, we set to find some of these trees. We have sampled thousands of apples, fermented cider from over 150 unique trees, and selected twelve varieties to propagate. We have grafted these twelve varieties to over 1,000 trees, marking the beginning of our "Lost Apple Orchard" at Colin's farm and with our partners, Sunrise Orchards and Windfall Orchard. Each year we continue to harvest, graft, and plant trees in an effort to expand our source of Lost Apples.”
SIGN UP FOR THIER CIDER CLUB::
MORE INFO AND SIGN UP FOR THIER NEWS LETTER::
LISTEN TO PAST EPISODES:
- Jan 12, 2019 EP///:::16 David Dolginow, Shacksbury Cider Co-Founder Jan 12, 2019
- Nov 7, 2018 EP///15::: Chef Jeremiah Stone from Contra, Wild Air and Una Pizzaria Napoletana Nov 7, 2018
- Aug 22, 2018 EP///0014: The Creative Kitchen of Blanch and Shock in London Aug 22, 2018
- Jun 20, 2018 EP///013 Sugar Maples and Beekeeping with Ethan West from The Republic Of Vermont Jun 20, 2018
- Jun 10, 2018 EP///012: Food and Adventure Author: Rowan Jacobsen Jun 10, 2018
- May 24, 2018 EP///011: A Cook's Cook:::::Jamie Bissonnette May 24, 2018
- May 17, 2018 EP///010 Real and NATURAL WINE with David Mitchell May 17, 2018
- May 3, 2018 EP///009 JOHN WANG from the Food Project May 3, 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 EP///008 Spearfishing and free diving:::ANNE DOHERTY Apr 24, 2018
- Apr 11, 2018 EP///007: Coffee, Chocolate and PERU with Mateo Campesino Apr 11, 2018
- Mar 28, 2018 EP:006: Organic greens, herbs, and life : EVA SOMMARIPA Mar 28, 2018
- Mar 21, 2018 EP///005: Potatoes with Matt Linehan from Sparrow Arc Farm Mar 21, 2018
- Mar 7, 2018 EP///004: A Venetian Restaurant: SRV. with Chefs Kevin O'Donnell and Michael Lombardi JR Mar 7, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 EP//003 BEEKEEPING, URBAN AGRICULTURE WITH BILL PERKINS Mar 5, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 EP//001: The Mushroom Kingdom with TYLER AKABANE Mar 5, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 EP//002: The New England Chef: JEREMY SEWALL Mar 5, 2018